Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My First Second Date

It finally happened, and I feel like the luckiest girl at the ball.

Of all the culinary adventures upon which I have embarked, this was the first time that I have had a planned, repeat encounter with people I've randomly met at a food event.

The traditional pattern has been something along the lines of finding a food source, meeting a random person or people by virtue of my butting into conversations in which I clearly don't belong, having a great conversation with tasty treats, and leaving with nothing more than a full stomach and a decent story.

Not this time.

As you may recall, I met a lovely couple at the recent B. Patisserie popup, and we really hit it off.  Almost immediately, I felt as though there was something different about this particular encounter.  Something clicked. Something resonated.  Something was, to be quite honest, special.  And it isn't anything on which you can put your finger or that can be described in words.  I think I may have fallen for a couple...

(awkward)

But I digress.  We exchanged email addresses and chatted a bit, until they surprised me with an invite to the East Bay for brunch this past Sunday.

Be still my beating heart!  A second date!?

Please don't get the wrong impression - I've been on PLENTY of second dates...


As a repeat customer...


But that was mostly about the food.  When you want a morning bun from Tartine, a hot bowl of Ramen from Hapa Ramen or some Humprhy Slocombe Secret Breakfast, nothing else will do.  And rarely did I run into the same people or have nearly the same personal interactions.  However, this time, I was the one being courted.  They wanted to be with me!  The food would serve as the medium; the rallying point.  But the crux of the meeting was to try and mimic that same experience of being together.

They like me - they really like me!

And I felt the exact same way about them.


So, giddy and giggly, we planned to meet for brunch at one of their favorite spots in the East Bay.  A bicycle trip, a bart ride, and another bicycle trip and I arrived at our destination.  Early, of course - only to find out that it was closed for Father's Day.  

A quick phone call to regroup and we were off to Lois The Pie Queen - a destination they wanted to cross off of their bucket list before they head off to Portland.  A soul food haven for East Bay dwellers to rival the best of the best.  Four miles on the bike and a ten minute drive landed us at our destination almost simultaneously.

Everyone landed upon their orders pretty quickly - except for me of course.  For those of you who know me, it will come as no surprise that I changed my order after it was placed.

I'm the worst.

Bacon, Eggs, Hotcake 

Chicken and Waffles

Salmon Croquettes, Grits, Poached Eggs


Piecing together her ideal meal from our originally planned locale, Leeann made her mix of a hotcake, bacon, and eggs.  Jacob went for the classic chicken and waffles (on which I almost doubled up before my re-neg), and I opted for the salmon croquettes with grits and poached eggs.

I really wanted to be head-over-heels about the dishes.  The atmosphere was simultaneously dive-y and homey.  Tables were filled with those who I can only assume were recently returning from Sunday church services, happy couples, and regulars.  The staff was fantastic - extremely attentive, always there for your warm-up and the company was perfection.  Everything about it made it hard not to love the dishes...but I just couldn't.

Jacob's waffle was paper thin: not nearly enough to hold up to the chicken, which looked less than meaty (though I didn't have a bite to confirm my theory).  Leeann's hotcakes were fine, but nothing about which to write home - though apparently enough about which to blog home.  My croquettes were texturally playful - a nice crispy outside with a soft, salmon-y interior akin to a smooth crab cake or a finer salmon rillettes.  I would have loved some chunks of salmon stuck in there.  The grits were gritty and the poached eggs were a bit overdone and without much yolk to them.  The best phrase I can use to describe the plate is "one-dimensional."

We finished off with (bites of slices) of banana cream pie and mixed berry pie.  The mixed berry pie filling was replete with chunky fruit and was capped with a crispy, flaky crust.  The banana cream was good as well, piled high with whipped cream, but again, I'd probably pass if asked again.

Later, Leeann emailed me to let me know that she thought the meal itself was a letdown, and that it didn't hold a candle to the previously planned spot.  However, the company (i.e. me!) was great - and free, to boot!

Yes, I'm a cheap date, ladies.


Some would say, "priceless."

They say that a great chef can salvage almost any dish.  I contend that great company can do just the same.  Not that this food needed saving by any means - it was pretty good.  I'd take Brenda's in a New York minute, but Lois gave us a decent meal.   Though I'm not sure how it would have tasted if I weren't with Leeann and Jacob....

And isn't that the point?

Nosh on,
Josh

P.S. - For those of you interested, we do have plans to see each other again.  I think this is getting serious...

No comments:

Post a Comment